Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Jump Through a Hoop

For advice on all trick training click on this link to get you started off right.


Your dog should be able to jump 1 1/2 times his shoulder height. This excludes dogs that are pregnant, dysplastic, arthritic, have back problems or leg problems. Dachshunds or other long-backed dogs are not good jumpers since they are prone to back injuries. Most dogs love to jump. You may want to think twice about teaching your dog to jump however. If Fido stays in the back yard, you don't want him jumping over the fence. Consider this before continuing.


To start your dog jumping, put a board in a doorway. With Fido on leash, both you and Fido should jump over the board. Say, "Fido Over" as you j...ump. Fido should follow you. After he gets over, praise, praise, praise! If you have any problems, get a lower board to start. Next you stand on one side of the doorway with Fido on a sit stay on the other side. Holding onto his leash say, "Fido Come, Fido Over". After he masters this, stay in the same room with Fido. Send him over the board saying, "Fido Over" and then have him return again using the Over command. Remember always end the training on a success with lots of praise.

Now you can get the hoop out. A hula-hoop works well. Put the hoop in the doorway and start easy. Sit the hoop on the ground. Call him to you, "Fido Come" while you are on the other side. Once he will walk through the hoop, you can start raising the hoop a little at a time. Use the Over command and use lots of praise. Next you can leave the doorway and hold the hoop in your hand.

It is now your job to make sure Fido cannot avoid the hoop. As you give the Over command, move the hoop in front of him if he tries to avoid it. Start with the hoop low. Keep the training fun. At each training session start with the hoop low to give Fido a warmup. You can also teach your dog to jump over a person, a long stick, another dog, etc. The most important thing is to have fun! Be consistent and remember the praise. Soon you will be showing off Fido to all your friends.

8 Comments:

Blogger Expat said...

Great idea for a blog! :o)

7:10 PM  
Blogger Panthergirl said...

Hi...surfed in through Blog Clicker! I'm a dog lover and have posted a very important announcement on my blog...please come visit! Thanks!!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Casper said...

uh oh. mom wants to try out all the stuff you posted on your blog on me. we'll see how far she'll get. hehehe!

1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here Chipman, searching for info on adult dog training I just stumbled across you. Although Jump Through a Hoop is not exactly what I am looking for it certainly got my interest. I see now why I found your blog looking for information on adult dog training and am glad I stopped by even though this is not a perfect match. Great blog I intend to bookmark you, thanks for the read.

12:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

U have a Maltese... He can jump down, but he cant jump up... I kept trying to teach him to jump, but he can't... I dont know what I should do...
Kept trying to train him...

7:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your blog...

I thought my readers would too so I've added you to my links on my three blogs below.

Aidana
HORSES:
http://www.blogcharm.com/ShuvaniStablesAllNaturalHorseAndLivestockRemedyAndProductBlog/
PETS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/KenderKennelPetCare/
EXOTICS:
http://www.blogcharm.com/shuvanimals/

12:09 PM  
Blogger Xsara and Tani said...

What a great blog! I love doing tricks with my beagle as well, she's quite good :) I'm defenitely visiting this site again!

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello... hapi blogging... have a nice day! just visiting here....

1:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home